• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

The return of MSN Messenger?

Oblivion Knight

Bang bang!
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Andy
The Internet hasn't quite felt the same since Microsoft closed the MSN Messenger servers back in 2013.. Whilst it was understandable given their acquisition of Skype, there was just a certain charm that wasn't replicated on the new service.

I've often wondered if Microsoft ever decided to revive it, would it be used by the online population today given the new software that has been developed since, such as Discord, Facebook Messenger, and WhatsApp? One fan even went as far as creating a concept for a new version (2019 Edition), though sadly as far I can tell it was never taken any further..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After researching a little more, I did discover that a community (Escargot) had indeed revived classic versions of MSN Messenger that are still usable today via their own chat relay servers - though I haven't tried it for myself. The question(s) is/are, does the thought of using the service again fill you with joy or should it be left in the past? Are you young enough to have never used MSN Messenger previously? Do you use Skype now?

Also worth noting that if you preferred AOL Instant Messenger that shut down in 2017, there's an option for that too.. :lowered_sunglasses:
Phoenix (FAQ)

WARNING: REGISTRATION IS NOT HTTPS SECURE - USE A PASSWORD YOU DO NOT USE ANYWHERE ELSE!!

I absolutely loved MSN messenger and was gutted to see it go.

Group chats where class, but so hard to keep up with.

I liken it more to WhatsApp these days.

MSN & Windows Live were both beast, though thinking of how all the young ones would have different .gif's for each letter and how their final message would end up looking like a calling card makes me feel like its probably better left in the past :v

I did use Skype for a while but it was before MS bought it, and really just because it was some friends from a specific forum used.

When I was growing up I used AIM a lot - but then I kinda worked out that UK people tended to use MSN.. so I also used that.

I'm not sure where I stopped using IM software - but I think discord is one of the only modern programs of that ilk which are actually 'good'.

I wouldnt recommend Skype to anybody - what that thing does has been done better by stuff like (again) discord and Google Hangouts.

MSN was great when I was younger. I used to always use it right after school and it was a great place to chat to friends when you wanted to play some online multiplayer games. Would be awesome to just log back into one of our old accounts to read some of the messages

I remember using both AIM and MSN back when they were in their prime and it's so ingrained in me that my text message tones are from MSN and AIM depending on contacts. I don't know that I'd go back to them today, I stick with Signal for messaging basically everyone and, on occasion, Discord of Guilded.

I'd rather wish AIM would make a comeback. I never used MSN messenger but AIM seems to be the best. Was the chat app I grew up with and most people did then it went from that to skype and then to discord.

I used both pretty evenly, although personally I preferred MSN Messenger.

I fondly remember adding various people from different forums and talking to them about nothing in particular.. :daydreaming:

I did also try Yahoo! Messenger, ICQ, and Google Talk (did anyone actually use that?) but couldn't really get along with them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back