• Umbrella Online is a community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    It's a great way to network and meet like-minded people!

Registering is quicker, easier, and more secure than ever - and it's free!
    There's no CAPTCHA process, no email verification, no annoying adverts, and no hidden "premium" options..

What are you waiting for, a zombie apocalypse? #GetInvolved!

The return of MSN Messenger?

Currently reading:
The return of MSN Messenger?

Oblivion Knight

Administrator
The Internet hasn't quite felt the same since Microsoft closed the MSN Messenger servers back in 2013.. Whilst it was understandable given their acquisition of Skype, there was just a certain charm that wasn't replicated on the new service.

I've often wondered if Microsoft ever decided to revive it, would it be used by the online population today given the new software that has been developed since, such as Discord, Facebook Messenger, and WhatsApp? One fan even went as far as creating a concept for a new version (2019 Edition), though sadly as far I can tell it was never taken any further..

After researching a little more, I did discover that a community (Escargot) had indeed revived classic versions of MSN Messenger that are still usable today via their own chat relay servers - though I haven't tried it for myself. The question(s) is/are, does the thought of using the service again fill you with joy or should it be left in the past? Are you young enough to have never used MSN Messenger previously? Do you use Skype now?

apathy

Lab rat
MSN & Windows Live were both beast, though thinking of how all the young ones would have different .gif's for each letter and how their final message would end up looking like a calling card makes me feel like its probably better left in the past :v

I did use Skype for a while but it was before MS bought it, and really just because it was some friends from a specific forum used.

Comment

jamesyfx

Wiki team
When I was growing up I used AIM a lot - but then I kinda worked out that UK people tended to use MSN.. so I also used that.

I'm not sure where I stopped using IM software - but I think discord is one of the only modern programs of that ilk which are actually 'good'.

I wouldnt recommend Skype to anybody - what that thing does has been done better by stuff like (again) discord and Google Hangouts.

Comment

Ash

Walking dead
MSN was great when I was younger. I used to always use it right after school and it was a great place to chat to friends when you wanted to play some online multiplayer games. Would be awesome to just log back into one of our old accounts to read some of the messages

Comment

PGen98

Virus cell
I remember using both AIM and MSN back when they were in their prime and it's so ingrained in me that my text message tones are from MSN and AIM depending on contacts. I don't know that I'd go back to them today, I stick with Signal for messaging basically everyone and, on occasion, Discord of Guilded.

Comment

TopSilver

Walking dead
I'd rather wish AIM would make a comeback. I never used MSN messenger but AIM seems to be the best. Was the chat app I grew up with and most people did then it went from that to skype and then to discord.

Comment

Oblivion Knight

Administrator
I used both pretty evenly, although personally I preferred MSN Messenger.

I fondly remember adding various people from different forums and talking to them about nothing in particular.. :daydreaming:

I did also try Yahoo! Messenger, ICQ, and Google Talk (did anyone actually use that?) but couldn't really get along with them.

Comment