• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Hello

PGen98

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey all,

I saw an advert for these forums on a different forum and, being something of a forum addict, decided I'd join up and say hello! I happen to recognize a fair few names here already, so it seems it won't be all too difficult to feel at home ;). At any rate, I'm 33, originally from Bolton, England and presently living in Arizona in the US. I'm an avid video game collector, a lover of all things Tolkien, and a supporter of my hometown Bolton Wanderers Football Club as well as the Dallas Stars of the NHL. I spend a great deal of what free time I get tinkering with websites and posting on forums (been running or helping out with forums for about 21 years at this point, posting on them for about 25 years in total).

As an occupation I was a computer programmer, working to develop loan origination software for banks, but I quit my job when my mother's health took a downward turn as she now has dementia and needs around the clock care, which is what I do. Not exactly a well paid position, but I owe her at least that much, she is still my mother even though she doesn't remember that anymore. At any rate, that's enough of that. There's really not much else to know about me, so I'll go ahead and stop there. This certainly seems like a good community thus far and I look forward to branching out and seeing what all it has to offer, so it's good to meet you all, good to reacquaint with some, and good to see those that I already know :D.

PGen98 / Crystal

(revised to remove some old information)

Hey Chris! Good to see you on the airwaves after many years... I'll see you around.

Are you still in contact with many people from the Pgen days?

Hey Chris! Good to see you on the airwaves after many years... I'll see you around.

Are you still in contact with many people from the Pgen days?
It's good to see you again, too, James :) Been a very long time!

Sadly, most of the guys from PGen sort of broke away and disappeared, so I'm not sure what happened to a lot of them. I did recently get in touch with Cruz/lurk, but that's about it. Haven't heard from most of them in many years, sadly.

Hi Chris,

I've already briefly welcomed you via profile post, but thank you again for highlighting a registration issue.

That's quite the move from the UK to the US! Have you dabbled with PHP at all? There's quite a market for XenForo add-on work.. ;) I'm sorry to hear about your family circumstances, and I commend you for what you're doing.

I have dabbled in PHP (granted, when I say that, I'm talking PHP 5 days, I'm outdated on my knowledge and need to read up on 7 and 8 changes), and it's an area I would like to get more involved in, because you're absolutely right, there is a big market for add-on development, and I had an idea for a retro gaming forum I was a part of that I wished I'd followed through on for a collection database for users, so they could add their collection to their profile. Ideally it would have pulled valuations from the Price Charting website, and it also would've had a "want" section that users could have added to and provided links to ebay or eStarLand or something like that. Limited market, though it could've been adapted to suit movie, music or comic book sites, as well, but it's one of those many things in life I wished I'd followed through on :D. Alas, never quite got around to such things as yet, but hopefully some day when I've got the free time to sit and work on projects again, it could happen.

Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to getting into and contributing to the forums :)

I think your thoughts on retro gaming are aligned with mine. My collecting is borderline obsessive... I've got a Price Charting profile and I love the idea about building a community around collecting.

That being said.. We are a lot busier these days. :ROFLMAO:

I think your thoughts on retro gaming are aligned with mine. My collecting is borderline obsessive... I've got a Price Charting profile and I love the idea about building a community around collecting.

That being said.. We are a lot busier these days. :ROFLMAO:
Yep, we're pretty much in the same boat there, for sure! I'm a bit out of count now, but at last count I had nearly 40 consoles and handhelds and closing in on 2,100 games. My database is dated because of moving and not scanning in games I've bought in the past couple of years, but I definitely identify with the borderline obsessive part :D.

If I ever get the chance I'd love to build up a retro collecting site, it would be such a fun project!

You know where I am if you need a third.. ;)

My collection won't be as impressive, but it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of retro gaming!

If it ever reaches the point of coming to fruition, then absolutely!

You certainly don't need a massive collection to enjoy retro gaming :)

Hi Chris,

I've already briefly welcomed you via profile post, but thank you again for highlighting a registration issue.

That's quite the move from the UK to the US! Have you dabbled with PHP at all? There's quite a market for XenForo add-on work.. ;) I'm sorry to hear about your family circumstances, and I commend you for what you're doing.
It's almost funny how since deactivating the VPN/Proxy check (that I didn't know was present), other spam defences are going pretty nuts.. 😅

Hi Chris,

Seems it was doing a pretty decent job, then! Whoops! I definitely wasn't behind a VPN or Proxy, so maybe there's a way to fine tune that setting a bit and still keep it working?

Hi Chris,

The only setting is on/off.. 😂 It's fine, I'd rather keep things simple for legitimate users - if we get hit by spam I'll re-visit the setting.

Hi Chris,

Fair enough, it would be awful losing a legitimate user because of it!

Thank you, it's very good to be here :)

Hi Chris,

VPN/Proxy check re-enabled.. 2 spam accounts and 0 legitimate registrations since you signed up.. 😬

Hi Chris,

Definitely a worthwhile check to keep on, then, for sure...not sure why I managed to trigger it, need to check everything on my end it seems!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back