• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Cryptocurrency

Oblivion Knight

Bang bang!
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Andy
Has anyone had a dabble with any cryptocurrency? Have you made or lost any substantial amounts of money?

Bitcoin is the obvious one, with it first reaching a peak in 2017 before the value dramatically dropped, but is now surpassing that peak again in 2021.. I had a friend who invested quite heavily in Bitcoin during 2017, only for him to lose it all by being greedy and disseminating into lesser-known cryptos when its value was falling. I got quite mad at him actually as he'd been warned by a few people (including me) what could happen if he wasn't careful, and didn't end up just losing his money but got some of his friends and family involved too.

One of my teaching colleagues on the other hand, has invested quite heavily in Bitcoin (pre-2017) and stands to make some substantial money so long as he doesn't make the same mistake, which he hasn't so far. He invested in a miner last year, he's now purchasing high-end graphics cards and setting them up purely to mine.. I'm not sure how it all works in honesty! 😵

I've never dabbled myself in crpytocurrency.. It just feels much too risky to me.

I don't think it's worth trying to 'mine' bitcoin at home using consumer GPU power, the cost in electricity required would outweigh the actual bitcoin generated. It's very unwise to mine this way at this stage...

I would've considered it back when Bitcoin was easier to mine but not these days... I'll probably never bother with any cryptocurrency!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't done much with cryptocurrency but I will say a friend @Alexander. from Forum Promotion did mention you can make a lot of money with bitcoin advertising. Currently he's using a setup of 4 ways he makes money. First way is of course paid advertising from other people. Second way is Bit Coin advertising with a company called a-ads.com - Third way is with a company called infolinks.com which is similar to vig link. And the fourth way is obviously with Google adsense. He's using all four at one time and I'm hearing good things.

A-ads bitcoin advertising basically puts ads on your site like adsense. InfoLinks is similar to viglink but pays out to paypal. I plan to do the same thing once my site gets enough traffic.

I have made some decent money this year trading with crypto, but the market is so volatile, you need to go in to it expecting to lose everything.

I don't currently dabble with cryptocurrency and I don't think I will ever touch it, to be honest. The thing is, if I ever did invest in some Bitcoin early on, I would have sold it the moment that it went up even a bit lol. I would have never kept it this long

I'm contemplating investing £50 just to forget about, and see what it does.. It's just a matter of trying to buy at the right time (ie. when the price dips).

coindesk-BTC-chart-2021-03-06.png

@Oblivion Knight you should be careful as the price of bitcoin recently plummeted. @Alexander. had just recently posted this on Forum Promotion. Not exactly sure how it will continue into the future.

My teaching colleague has recommended that I look into Helium, and he reckons it could well be the next big thing..

..but at £300 - is it worth a roll of the dice? (the devices are out of stock at the moment anyway)

I made an account on Coinbase recently which gives some free cryptocurrency for answering some questions related to certain crypto. Earned that, sold it all, and just chucked it all at Eth. Not worth much but let's see how it goes.

Not too bothered with crypto personally... apparently my GPU (Radeon VII) is a prime candidate for mining though, and it's going quite expensive on the second hand market right now for that reason, so I've deffo been tempted to sell it

I made an account on Coinbase recently which gives some free cryptocurrency for answering some questions related to certain crypto. Earned that, sold it all, and just chucked it all at Eth. Not worth much but let's see how it goes.
I got rid of that Eth and just took the money out. It wasn't much but it was probably a good thing considering how much crypto crashed. I don't think I could ever invest in something so volatile.

Never really dabbled with crypto but I have been watching the Bitcoin markets. Still not confident with Bitcoin to invest money into it.

I don't think I could ever invest in something so volatile.
..and that just perfectly sums up cryptocurrency - Bitcoin for example almost halved in value in less than 2 weeks :scared_with_clenched_teeth:

10/05/21 @ 04:59 BST - $59,356.78
23/05/21 @ 17:59 BST - $31,248.62

Sure, it's climbed marginally again since ($36.9K) - but that value was the lowest since January this year.

It's expected to pretty much crash and burn in September - so despite it dropping quite substantially, it probably still isn't a good time to invest.

It's just been reported that Norton 360 will soon begin to include Ethereum mining as a feature.

Makes you wonder... How many people with strong GPU's are using Norton 360? In fact most miners disable all that kinda stuff. 🤣 I hope they don't market it in any kind of meaningful way as it's kinda a meaningless inclusion.

It's just been reported that Norton 360 will soon begin to include Ethereum mining as a feature.

Makes you wonder... How many people with strong GPU's are using Norton 360? In fact most miners disable all that kinda stuff. 🤣 I hope they don't market it in any kind of meaningful way as it's kinda a meaningless inclusion.
How many people are still using Norton, period? I seem to recall it used to be one of the most targeted anti-virus solutions to be circumvented by malware.. 🤔

My knowledge of Norton is about a decade out of date... Last I heard, it was re-written and genuinely became effective and surprisingly light on system resources.

But at the end of the day, Antivirus and Firewall is built into Windows and most routers (and Windows) respectively, and most web browsers handle all of the privacy stuff and they're good at it so It's kinda hard to recommend buying any Antivirus program.

Like I say tho; my knowledge is kinda dated.. so someone can feel free to correct me.

Your knowledge of Norton is probably more recent than mine, to be fair.. 🤣 I still run MalwareBytes, it's felt like the only software solution that I've been able to fully trust.

I've never dabbled in Cryptocurrency, unfortunately. I know a lot of friends who have and some who live for this, and do very well in it. However, I never got round to reading about it and understanding it. It doesn't really interest me, I may be missing out though as some of my friends earn good money from it .Who knows!

I've never dabbled in Cryptocurrency, unfortunately. I know a lot of friends who have and some who live for this, and do very well in it. However, I never got round to reading about it and understanding it. It doesn't really interest me, I may be missing out though as some of my friends earn good money from it .Who knows!
I don't personally know anyone investing in it but from the outside, it really does look good. But like you, I never really got around to looking into properly until recently and honestly at this point, it's probably too late for us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back