• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

What's your occupation?

Alexander.

Reaction score
Are you working and if this applies, which industry do you work in? Is this a long-term or short-term decision? Perhaps you are studying? If so, what subject and what is the plan afterward?

Where do you see yourself 5 years from today?

I work in retail, always have.

I got made redundant twice in 12 months a couple of years ago — due to businesses going into administration and liquidation. It was hard to handle, but I pushed through and managed to find a new job in retail literally the day after I gave my keys back.

I originally worked for Maplin Electronics, ending as an Assisant Manager - they went under.

Then I took a job with Office Outlet (what became of Staples Retail in the UK), in a Supervisor-type role. Then I ended up doing shop merchandising for them around the country - which was fun. Ironically a lot of the time I was converting empty Maplin stores into Office Outlet stores.

Now I work for Halfords. Who are doing really well in this climate... Which is giving me confidence. Im employed as Bicycle staff... I mainly build and do small repairs on cycles at the moment, but I do other things as needed.

In 5 years - I don't have a clue. Hopefully I'll still be working for Halfords but in management as that's where my expertise is. But that just depends how consumers treat the business.

By day I'm an IT Technician at a secondary school (academy), by night I'm Batman I stack shelves for Tesco..

I've had my fair share of redundancies and jobs that I've hated over the years.. I'm pretty happy work wise right now, though ideally I'd like to be making better use of my degree than I am at present. For me though, happiness supersedes all else. I don't really have a career plan.

I studied part-time for 6 years to obtain my degree, so no more studying for me unless it's something I want to do! 😅 I may look into improving my coding skills at some stage..

Right now I am just a student and that is enough to keep me busy. I do not have a lot of energy and the energy I do have goes towards my studies, to give myself the best possible chance at passing as well as I can. I look forward to working in a job that I can enjoy in the next few years, however.

How many of you guys have been in a job that you just did not want to be in? This is something I try to avoid as it would only make me feel worse mentally.

I work for a large shipping company in their Printing branch. We still do shipping, but it's not the primary focus. I really like the company, and would like to grow into an IT position with them. I'm taking courses that will hopefuly help with that.

I'm an accessibility & usability consultant. I'm an intern and only started about 6-7 months ago but I'm pretty happy so far. It's quite interesting working from home because of all this COVID stuff, although I'm not sure I want to do this long-term (working from home)

How many of you guys have been in a job that you just did not want to be in? This is something I try to avoid as it would only make me feel worse mentally.
The job I'm in right now is not my ideal role.. I enjoy what I do but I have zero interest in cars and bicycles outside of work. Sometimes customers enthuse to me about their bike and I have no opinion whatsoever.

Im more into electrical and technical rather than mechanical... But I was asked to join my current employer and to be fair it pays well enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back