• Please note Umbrella Online is currently undergoing maintenance and may be offline for short intervals.

What are some good video games for kids?

Currently reading:
What are some good video games for kids?

ZandraJoi

Ones that aren't too serious with a lot of violence. Preferably ones that have an educational undertone but where the kids don't realize they are actually learning something while having fun. While I don't have kids, I know this topic has come up before in my family & I was always at a loss as to what to say. What do you suggest?

jamesyfx

Wiki team
For older kids.. I think stuff like Scrap Mechanic and Kerbal Space Program are fun ways to learn how things work.

For example Scrap Mechanic teaches you how mechanical things work in a more realistic way than something like Minecraft. It also has some extremely light programming in there too.

And Kerbal Space Program teaches you orbital mechanics in a simple way. E.g. It’s difficult to explain to people that slowing down in orbit makes you orbit faster.. but when you see it in the game it makes more sense.

Nice idea for a thread!

Comment

Sharon

I love this thread idea! I'd definitely be interested in learning some titles I can introduce my 3 year old to at some point. Right now, I'm just starting her on board games but at some point I'd like to introduce to some video games. I imagine I'd start her off on ones that I enjoyed as a kid like Tetris, Dr. Mario, etc.

Comment

apathy

how'd i get to be so good?
I don't think I've got any ideas that could be educational... but as far as just being kid friendly then there's plenty of Nintendo games or licensed games like that Spongebob remake that came out in the last 2-ish years. Katamari Damacy wouldn't have anything a parent would need to worry about either.

Comment

Ash

Depends on their age I guess but Overcooked is a pretty kid-friendly game in terms of the gameplay and content. I wouldn't say it's extremely educational but you can definitely develop a few useful skills - teamwork, time management etc.

Comment