• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Web browsers

Which is/are the main web browser(s) you use?

• Google Chrome

• Mozilla Firefox

• Microsoft Edge

• Apple Safari

• Opera

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oblivion Knight

Bang bang!
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Andy
Web browsers are the probably the most used software on a PC and/or mobile phone, so even the most minor of issues can make you want to ditch it and try something else.

..and that's exactly what has happened to me! I've been using Firefox again for the last few years again since Chrome became a bit of a resource hog, however over the last couple of weeks I've been rapidly losing patience with it. There's been inconsistent handling of CSS harking back to the days of Internet Explorer and having to add a pathetic amount of workaround code, then I've also been having issues where it would go in to an unresponsive state and wouldn't do anything when entering URLs or selecting bookmark links.. Fun.

So I've now swapped to Microsoft Edge (chromium) and I'm pretty happy with it.. It seems to have the benefits of Chrome without the same resource issues.

I was also using Firefox on my Android phone and have swapped that at the same time, since the same CSS inconsistencies were present. I've reluctantly gone back to Chrome on that for now..

I used to always try different web browsers back in the day - but as soon as Chrome came out.. It changed the game.

I use Microsoft Edge. It's essentially Google Chrome but it integrates better with my OS.

For a while I used a build of Chromium that I compiled myself. And after a while I was like.. Why.. Stop just trying to be a geek. It's a web browser.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I see Firefox as a browser for people that used it back in the day and just haven't tried anything else.. It's a little bit 'old school'.

I like Edge, it has a nice feel to it. On this device (tablet) I use chrome though.

On my laptop, I only really use Chrome and no other browsers. I have Edge for special purposes but barely use that. On my phone, I use Chrome mainly and Opera from time to time. I've always wanted to move to Firefox but can never be bothered really.

I would have a hard time using Microsoft Edge. I personally just think it's a new Internet Explorer and not much really special about it. I used to use chrome quite a bit but around 4-5 years ago I switched to Firefox's new browser Firefox Quantum. That's worked out well.

I would have a hard time using Microsoft Edge. I personally just think it's a new Internet Explorer and not much really special about it.
Are you thinking of the old version? The new one is basically Chrome, there's nothing "Internet Explorer" about it.. 🙂

I used to use a fork of Firefox called Icecat but the fact it gets stuck on old versions made me a bit worried, so I've since moved back to mainline Firefox.
The mobile version is an absolute torment though, I get this weird issue the last few weeks where sometimes if a tab if left idle too long it just gets stuck on an about:blank page.

Since my above post, I have migrated to edge on all my devices.

The main issue I've found with Edge/Chrome at the moment is a weird text rendering issue following a recent update - this was apparently the issue with the Wiki @jamesyfx, so I guess it affects Safari too.. :eek:

Hopefully it'll get fixed soon enough though.

Firefox on my desktop and Chrome on my mobile devices and Chromebook.

I've been quite impressed with Edge though and have Edge, Edge Beta, Edge Canary and Edge Development all installed on my desktop (for unknown reasons 🤷‍♀️)

I do have all the browsers listed installed for testing various design layouts (and the expected errors) I create for my site.

I have been using Brave browser for quite a while now. It's a Chromium-based browser dedicated to privacy and security. I'm a pretty big fan of it so far.

Voted for Chrome. I have Google Chrome installed on my HP and Dell Laptop. I love how quick the browser is and the general design of it. I'm a pretty big fan of this program.

I have been using Brave browser for quite a while now. It's a Chromium-based browser dedicated to privacy and security. I'm a pretty big fan of it so far.

I've heard something about Brave Browser a few times in the past but never gave it a try. I personally am mostly about speed and want the browser to be fast. I will have to check it out later when I have time. Firefox just seems to be the fastest in my opinion. But I'm into trying new browsers.

Brave seems interesting. I'm all for improved privacy, but I'm not sure I can be steered away from edge now.

I primarily use Waterfox and Brave. Waterfox started out as 64-bit version of mainline FireFox, but once FireFox finally got around to building a 64-bit version, Waterfox sort of became a stripped down, less-bloaty version of FireFox. Now they run two different versions (Waterfox Current [Chromium] and Waterfox Classic [Gecko]), and for me I guess it's become a familiarity thing as to why I keep it going over other Chromium-based browsers.

I started using Brave so I had a Chromium-based browser at the time when Waterfox was just a Gecko-based browser, mostly because I enjoyed the privacy features and because it was a way to get the Chromium engine without the Google fiddling. I keep Brave because it's got some nice features, but it's taken a backseat to Waterfox since it, too, is a Chromium-based browser now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back