• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Valve Steam Deck

Ash

Reaction score
With the recent announcement of the Steam Deck, will you be getting it? I was massively surprised when they revealed it but I actually quite like the idea of it. Not sure I will be getting it though as the Series X and PS5 is enough for me.

I think it looks great, but I'm far more excited by the prospects of it being what makes Linux gaming gain mass appeal more than the actual device itself :p
I've not decided if I'll pick one up myself, though I do see a number of my friends have put down a deposit already which is great.

It looks good, but as a PlayStation gamer there's little appeal if the games aren't connected to my profile.. 😏

Maybe that's just the trophy hunter in me.

It's decent looking, and the pricing seems extraordinarily cheap for what you get — but still, it's sorta last-gen in terms of the gaming performance so in that way it doesn't appeal to me. I have a gaming PC for the power and my Switch for the more casual stuff.. I can't see myself enjoying AAA titles on a handheld.

It's decent looking, and the pricing seems extraordinarily cheap for what you get — but still, it's sorta last-gen in terms of the gaming performance so in that way it doesn't appeal to me. I have a gaming PC for the power and my Switch for the more casual stuff.. I can't see myself enjoying AAA titles on a handheld.
This is what I was wondering about because I'm not exactly sure who their target market is. For someone like you, it doesn't make any sense to get one really since you already have a PC. I guess they want the users that can't afford a good gaming PC but then again, it's not exactly the cheapest option for that target market.

I'm down for it, I know some games I really would love to play on the go. Sucks it cost so much though, nearly double of that of the Switch.

I'm down for it, I know some games I really would love to play on the go. Sucks it cost so much though, nearly double of that of the Switch.

It is a bit pricey, I don't really see myself using one but I'd still like to pick one up to support Linux gaming. The library is theoretically bigger than the Switch's though, and maybe emulators will work? If u can put windows on it I dont see why u cant put an emu on.

I think it's possible to get the base model and upgrade the storage yourself to potentially save some moolah also

So the Deck has been out for 2 days now I believe, and I've watched/read a couple reviews on it. People seem to be praising the hardware the most, with the software being "ehh but with potential".
Most of the software issues I've heard seem to be UI-related things though. I imagine people who pick this up expecting their whole Steam library to work will be disappointed, but anyone who knew what they were getting into seems reasonably happy with the compatibility.

And to answer my own question:
maybe emulators will work?

Apparently they do and KDE'S Discover has a number of them available.

I'm hoping my animu garbage with WMV videos start working soon, and for Valve to release the Steam OS kernel soon so I can cherry pick patches from it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back