• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Update: PS3 / Vita PSN storefronts to stay open!

Oblivion Knight

Bang bang!
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Andy
Last edited:
Update: Sony have reversed the decision

Original post:
It's been rumoured for a couple of weeks amongst various gaming websites/communities - but now Sony have made it official.. :making_announcement:

It's time to pick up any of those DLCs that you don't yet own!

Hi,

We are closing PlayStation™Store on PlayStation®3 on 2 July 2021 and on PlayStation®Vita devices on 27 August 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) will also retire on 2 July 2021. After thoughtful consideration, we decided to make these changes in an effort to focus our resources for PlayStation Store on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5, which will enable us to enhance the customer experience even further. We thank you for your support on these platforms throughout the years.

What does this mean for you?
You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.

You will also no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.

While the PSP storefront was previously closed in 2016, the remaining PSP purchase functionality (e.g. in-game purchases) will now be fully retired.

What about content you already own?
• You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
• You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
• If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.
• Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation™Video app.
• You will still be able to re-download and play game titles you have claimed through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.

What about vouchers, wallet funds, and cross-buy content?
• You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.

Where can you find out more?
Read our FAQ for more information: https://www.playstation.com/support/important-notice/

PS Vita messaging service
As of 28 June 2021*, users on PlayStation Vita will no longer be able to use the messaging service. Although messaging on PS Vita is going away, your messages will still be available to you by using the messaging service on PS5 consoles, PS4 consoles, and via mobile on PS App.

*Termination will start on 28 June 2021, actual date of the termination may differ by region.

I'm not too surprised especially as I'm sure the player base for these consoles is now pretty low. It's a shame that the players that do still use them won't be able to download new games though.

Well it was bound to happen eventually. I did see a thread on Twitter of an indie dev complaining this happened right when his Vita came was supposed to come out, and Sony just kinda shut the stores down without informing him ahead of time (or at all, actually), so that's pretty lousy if true.

It's good to see that they're listening to the community on this. It made little sense anyway - there was no reason really for them to essentially deny people access, especially if the datas still there as they could be downloaded if already purchased!

That is a bit of a surprise to hear, but good on them for making this decision. Especially now since people are struggling to get new consoles, it totally makes sense to extend support for an older consoles digital store.

Now if they could just restore some of the delisted content, that'd be great..

internet explain GIF

I'm relieved that the PS3 storefront isn't closing yet though.. Still plenty of games and DLC that I'd like to pick up (I've even gone through and made a list).

How about running a sale to celebrate, Sony? 🥳

I'm sure the fans that wanted this are very happy. It's a shame that the PSP store wasn't saved but I guess they have more information than we do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back