• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    It's a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

The Worst game ever

jamesyfx

Administrator
Administrator
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum has been in the gaming news a lot lately, being cited as one of the worst games of all time. Redfall is also another game which was recently released - which came out in a state so bad that the developer was forced to apologise for it.

I don't think its fair to say that these games are the worst games ever. The way they came out is more of an indication of how game development is sometimes rushed. I mean, its the norm now to release games in a broken state and release day 0 or day 1 patches to bring them up to code. If you buy a physical version of a game, whatever version is on it might be a broken mess. I believe the developer of Redfall didn't even want to release the game, and thought it would just end up being cancelled - but wasn't. So somebody higher up in the background must have been pushing really hard for them to release it.

But that got me thinking.. what is actually the worst game ever?

Many lists will mention games like ET for the Atari 2600 - the game that famously caused the US market to crash. The game itself was written by a guy in a very short amount of time. I think for what resources the guy had in the timescale he was given (5 weeks)... it's good enough. This guy designed Yars Revenge, one of the best 2600 games so he had the chops.. just not the time. It was just destined to be a huge failure due to Ataris meddling.

So for me.. I think the worst game ever is Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

It has to be.

It was developed by (maybe an individual?) a software company who seemingly repackaged another game they had made to have trucks in it. But they released it in a completely broken state. It featured police cars on the cover but there are no police in the game. There were spelling errors throughout, there was no actual racing (you had one opponent but they didn't move), none of the objects in the world were solid (including bridges....). Your speed never changed depending on the elevation either (so you could drive up a mountain without any effects on acceleration). It was impossible to lose a race as the game CRASHED if the opponent somehow crossed the finish line before you. Oh yeah... It also allowed you to reverse at infinite speed. So you could reach speeds like 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 mph if you held reverse long enough. It had a timer and a speedometer that didn't work or make any sense.

But what takes the cake for me with that game is that the developer released a patch after a while. So they knew it had problems.. But all the patch did was add collision to bridges, it made the opponent drive around in a fixed path (but it stopped just before the finish line, as the game still crashed if they crossed over... so you can still NEVER lose). Everything else stayed broken.

So yeah... That game is wild for how broken it is. Thats my pick.

Heres something about it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.