• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Resident Evil: A Sega Story

Reaction score
I've had all the original Resident Evil games on Gamecube and Playstation, but never on Sega consoles. I sold off my Gamecube collection and just have them digitally on the PS3 downloaded, but somethings missing... that physical touch. I need a physical Resident Evil collection again. The Gamecube titles were great, but they are so expensive now and I've already had them, the Sega games are quite pricey too but tend to be a bit cheaper, Code Veronica is fairly cheap though because it was widely circulated on the Dreamcast.

So I've decided to get into Resident Evil on the Sega Saturn, then 2, 3 and Code Veronica on Dreamcast. Such as shame I haven't played my favourite title Code Veronica on it's original console.

I'm going to change that.

I'm going to keep you all updated on my progress of the collecting here in this thread throughout the journey. :)

Here are some pictures below of the original title I won on ebay. I just love the big box and the box art. The cost excluding postage was £26 exactly. This version is RE in all it's original glory and the graphics are different to the PS1 too and I've attached a comparison image of this below also. You can check out Youtube to see more version differences.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

battle_chris_light_fr.jpg

That's awesome! The Saturn version also has a unique kind of Hunter which isn't in any of the other editions.

I think the Saturn version might have been my first RE game, as that was my console at the time.

Im now a GC collector.. I have every Resident Evil title available for the platform... and I'm very very proud of it!

Oh good lord, Chris' face in the Saturn version.. 😆 He looks constipated.

It also reminds me of the infamous Squall meme from Final Fantasy VIII..

ff8-squall-meme.jpg

Good luck on building your collection. I've just started buying a few horror titles again for the PS2.

Oh good lord, Chris' face in the Saturn version.. 😆 He looks constipated.

It also reminds me of the infamous Squall meme from Final Fantasy VIII..

View attachment 323

Good luck on building your collection. I've just started buying a few horror titles again for the PS2.
I bet if you split the PS1 and Saturn Chris model in half and splice together one half each he would look just like the cover art.

So I started playing the original on Sega Saturn, playing through as Chris, wandering through dodging Zombies and got 3 keys already, the Armor Key, Sword Key and Shield Key, forgot how difficult the original was, harder to kill zombies and not many ink ribbons. Spent about an hour running around trying to find an ink ribbon to save because I was using them all pretty quickly ahaha. All the running around though has built me up a nice wee stash of herbs, ammo, the wind crest and of course the armor key which I can use to start getting the other crests, then gonna prep myself for the snake.

Overall the experience is truly awesome so far! Really loving the challenge I'm getting with Chris.

Yeah, I started playing the Director's Cut on "Original" difficulty instead of "Beginner", and was really quite surprised at just how much harder it is! My ammo was running out fast.. I need to go back for another attempt when I have a minute.

I'm enjoying my play through, I've managed to stash Shotgun shells and used my hand gun against the snake. But as I made my way through the garden, the dogs took a chunk of my shotgun shells as I'd nearly ran out of handgun ammo.

So far so good, the challenge is getting harder but I'm sure I can beat the game with Chris.

I'm pretty sure that fight can be skipped without consuming any ammo? Grab the crest and run..!

Yeah I realised that when it was too late. XD Same for the big plant right? 'Cause the key was in the fireplace and I wasted loads of ammo killing it. XD

At the moment I've just got back to the Mansion and the 2nd hunter I came across, took Chris's head straight off. D: Literally one hit kill, I was gutted ahahaha. XD

Oh man... this game is kicking my arse near the end. Running around for an hour dodging enemies gathering up the medals and the battery.

Got to the spider after nearly losing all my health, used a first aid spray... FORGOT A BLUE HERB. V_V

Got game over and BAM, all that progress lost so now I'm back at the section where I've still got the Helmet key ahaha, think I'll do better 2nd time round though.

But right now I need a wee break from the original for Sega Saturn, it is truly one of the most difficult RE outings I've ever had. :v

I'm quite looking forward to taking on the challenge again having read about your attempt.. :evil_plotting:

I thought the first aid spray also cured of poison? ..or have I got that wrong? It genuinely sucks when you lose so much progress though, it literally saps the motivation out of you having to re-play the twenty minutes or so that you've just lost (not trying to rub salt in the wound, honest!).

So my progress has totally stopped at the moment. >_>''

I've actually resorted to playing Code Veronica X HD on my PS3 because I just really fancied playing the game and I didn't get around to finishing Resident Evil on Sega Saturn nor buying any of the Dreamcast titles. 😅

You can complete large portions of the original resident evil game without actually shooting anything, by just running on by.

Sometimes it is the only thing to do! :D

You can complete large portions of the original resident evil game without actually shooting anything, by just running on by.

Sometimes it is the only thing to do! :D
..but shooting things is so much more fun! 😂

It's something I do need to adapt with my RE gameplay though, particularly on the harder difficulties.

Yeah but certain situations it is good to conserve ammo.

Unless you have unlimited. Then just shoot everything!

Gotta love the reload animation for the unlimited Chicago Typewriter in Resident Evil 4.. Leon just adjusts his hat. That's his reload. 😂

Just a quick update on this, I erm... kept getting my arse handed towards me at the end and never actually finished the OG Resident Evil for Sega Saturn, that's not gonna stop me eventually collection all the Resident Evil games for Sega consoles. :v

Ended up having a lot of real life stuff happening which stunted my progression ahahaha.

But this thread will survive!

Watch this space into next year. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back