• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Is Merchant a Ganado?

• jamesyfx
    Last reply
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list

jamesyfx

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Guess
Just thought I'd blog this instead, as it's my personal thoughts and you know, being my brain and all... I feel bad for the people reading this garbage. I know it's just fun thing Capcom inserted into the game and we shouldn't be putting too much thought into it. Shut up. You must put lots of thought into this. What else have you got going on really?

So, if you don't know The Merchant is a character in Resident Evil 4 that supplies you with weapons, health items and can even upgrade weapons for you. His stock changes throughout the game and he seems to only be in business for Leon, who he calls 'Stranger' (he also supplies Ada the same way in her campaign). He speaks with Cockney accent - it's very unusual as it's also the last accent you'd expect to hear deep in the middle of Spain.

However, this much can be surmised:

1. Yes. He is definitely a Ganado.

It seems like he was infected with the Plaga like all the other Ganado, but for whatever reason he's not gone crazy like the others. Unless his obsession with providing Leon with the best service is crazy.

2. His eyes glow orange at night like all infected.

This indicates that yes, he is definitely one. But again, all he is concerned about is buying and selling for profit. He's not aggressive like the others and he is in fact really friendly and accommodating.

3. He seems to be EVERYWHERE.

He just seems to find ways to get just ahead of you, even behind locked doors where only YOU have the key. I can't call this a plot hole exactly as he is just a gameplay device. But it's still kinda funny.

4. He likes to play games.

Yeahhh so he has his own amusement park style shooting range set up in the middle of a castle AND on a remote island, for some reason. Even the doorway to it in the castle is fancy. Plus he's hung 15 blue medallions around a farm and church grounds just to offer Leon a side-challenge.

5. It's been proven that he DOES move around and has to quickly set up before Leon gets to him. Then he must just wait.

In Ada's scenario, she finds him halfway through setting up his underground 'store' and lighting his blue flame shortly before Leon arrives (near the first El Gigante fight).

6. If you kill him, his body doesn't sink and turn to mush like other Ganado.

He always comes back though after a time. Which is why he doesn't dissolve away. Unless you're playing on Pro. Then he's DEAD.

7. He's SUPER keen on certain items that he sells

Usually he says the same thing with most weapons etc. But on certain ones he says unique things. These are below:
ItemComment
Punisher"A wise choice, mate! Its ammo will penetrate just about anything!"
Red9"Ah, the choice of an avid gun collector! It's a nice gun, mate!"
RPG"Stranger, stranger, stranger... now that's a weapon!"
Mine Thrower"Not only will you need cash, but you'll need GUTS to buy that weapon!"
Broken Butterfly"I see you have an eye for things. Gun's not just about shootin, it's about reloadin! You'll know what I'm talkin' about!

Anyway, where was I? You were about to go to sleep but you got me doing THIS instead?!

Attachments

• welcome.gif
    welcome.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,285

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back