• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

PlayStation Classic

jamesyfx

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Guess
Did anyone get one of these?

They arrived and they quickly ended up being sold cheaply on clearance shelves because of the lack of titles and the weird choices in the game selection.. e.g. the PAL 50Hz version of Tekken 3 (fighting game.. with an inferior frame rate... Why in God's name did they load that one on?).

However they became fairly easy to hack into which made them a good choice for an emulation device. That all started when people discovered that the hardware's debug functionality was accessed as easily as plugging in a USB keyboard and pressing 'ESC' (lol). And then it was found that a FAT32 formatted USB Stick with the name SONY would be read on boot by the device.

So obviously the hacking began. First it started with BleemSync - giving people the ability to add different PS1 games.. and then later came Project Eris which basically gives you RetroArch, EmulationStation and a few other tools which opened the doors up to basically anything up to the Sega Dreamcast.

I've got mine set up with basically all of the SNES, GB and GBC games.. and then a handpicked selection of N64, GBA and DS titles. As well as the built in PSX games that came with the Classic in the first place.

It's on my list to pick up so I can hack it, but at the moment I've got the NES and Genesis version, both hacked to include their full libraries, so I'm somewhat content with that for now. I don't deny that I wouldn't enjoy having a few more libraries available to play, though!

I was weighing up whether to get one of these and hack it, or modify an actual PlayStation console to play ISOs - and after having issues with PS2 and OPL, decided that the latter was the way to go since I'd effectively be playing games on the original hardware rather than through emulation. Plus I already have modified Wii and PSP consoles with NES, SNES, and Genesis ROMs..

I'm still undecided whether I made the right call in honesty, although I've read that the "classic" mini-consoles are basically pretty much the same, especially when hacked. You'd think that the PlayStation Classic would be the best of the bunch, but I'm pretty sure the same article summarised that the Genesis Classic was better.. :unsure: It could of course be outdated - I haven't heard of them being able to play Dreamcast games.

I haven't bought one but a lot of people are using it and combining it with something called Retroarch and Bleemsync to emulate the platform. Really not very much worth it though.

Does anyone think there'll be a PS2 Classic? To my knowledge there's not been any kind of confirmation from Sony that one is in the works.. I saw that a Dreamcast Mini was confirmed by Sega prior to Christmas, but haven't heard any more since about that either.

It makes me wonder whether they're working on beefing up the security on them to try and dissuade them being hacked (seems pointless), or if they feel that it wouldn't be worth their while.. 🤔 I'd be interested to see just how small they can make it without needing a DVD drive.

I think the issue with a PS2 classic is that the emulation is rather spotty and weird compared to other consoles. Unless it uses PS Now technology... o_O

I'd wager on a GameCube classic rather than anything else from Sony. As GC and Wii emulation is incredible..

I mean PCSX2 is pretty good from what I've seen, but it would need a fair bit more processing power and storage than what has been seen with previous "classic" consoles, and with that you have the issue of cooling and cost. Then there's also the likelihood that hackers would be able to do more with them..

I kind of want it, but I can emulate all the games and the classic itself holds very little of the best of PS1 library. Sony could have done a lot better with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back