• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Multiplayer shutdowns inbound for Xbox 360 and PS3

Oblivion Knight

Bang bang!
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Andy
Not long after Sony decided to reverse their decision to shutdown the PlayStation Store for PS3 and Vita, both EA Games and Rockstar have announced they're closing the online multiplayer servers for some of the headline titles of that generation.. this really is feeling like the beginning of the end! 😬

If you're someone who enjoys gunning for trophies/achievements, it's time to start grinding again..

August 31st 2021
Need for Speed Carbon
Need for Speed Undercover
Need for Speed Shift
Need for Speed Shift 2: Unleashed
Need for Speed The Run

September 16th 2021
Max Payne 3

December 16th 2021
Grand Theft Auto V (does not affect PS4 or Xbox One)

Interesting, I had only caught 1/7th of this story it seems - I heard about GTA V shutting down on PS3 but I hadn't heard about the other titles.
Indeed, it is a shame, but thankfully it seems like a lot of modern emulators are capable of network play and such. Xbox emulation has always been kinda behind, but maybe the PS3 emu is capable of it?

GTA V servers going down is quite big although at this point, it's not too surprising because I'm sure the player base on the 360 and PS3 is so small that's it is just not worth keeping them running.

Side note, I really enjoyed Max Payne 3.

I always forget about the other Rockstar Games' titles, especially Max Payne. The only ones I've really tried are Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, and Mafia (not sure which one). Never tried Max Payne.

Max Payne 3 was great - not everybody loved it as it was a massive departure from the previous two.

Other Rockstar games worth noting are Bully and LA Noire... They all try something a little different.

Max Payne 1 was my favourite game of that era.

Max Payne 3 was great too - Max Payne 2 was rubbish.

I've managed to fly through the platinum trophy for Need for Speed: Undercover, but it wasn't a particularly enjoyable experience.

In fact it's quite a buggy mess on the PS3 - I certainly don't remember it playing so bad on Xbox 360. I continually disconnected from EA's shoddy servers, the scenery, audio, and even roads frequently don't load fast enough and the game will often take a moment to catch up. I've actually fallen through the road on a couple of occasions. Then there's the bullshit that is the AI on this game, especially in later levels - they can simply bulldoze their way past you and it'll feel like you've come up against a tank with little-to-no affect on themselves 🤬

I've just ordered Need for Speed: Shift since there's only one pretty easy multiplayer trophy, but I'm not going anywhere near Shift 2.. I hated that game on 360 😅

This is why I hate multiplayer based trophies, to be honest. You have to sort of rush to get them completed at the start when the game is popular. If you leave it too late, either it will be hard to complete or it becomes impossible to complete. And then you can't get all the trophies which is annyoing.

I just dislike multiplayer trophies in general.. Developers shouldn't include them if they don't intend on supporting the servers through the platform's online lifespan.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 may no longer be in production, but they still have online connectivity and a reasonably sized player base.. 🙄

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back