• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Microsoft buying up game studios

• apathy
    Last reply
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list

Oblivion Knight

Bang bang!
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Andy
monopoly_3.pngIn September 2020, Microsoft bought out ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Bethesda (link), and in November 2021 it was all but confirmed that The Elder Scrolls VI will be an Xbox/PC exclusive (link). Although the same has not yet been confirmed for Fallout 5, it is widely expected to be the case.

Just a few days ago, it was confirmed that Microsoft have now also acquired Activision Blizzard (link). Although the initial news seems to indicate that the likes of Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot, and Spyro the Dragon will in fact remain multiplatform for the foreseeable future, it is anticipated that "some content" will be exclusive to Microsoft and Xbox (link).

What do you make of the it all? Are you concerned about the future of gaming? Are Microsoft likely to buy up further studios?

I'm not too concerned as Microsoft have REALLY been on the consumer side the past couple of generations. If you ever hear interviews with any of the people from Xbox (particularly Phil Spencer) they really get it. They don't appear to be just some faceless corporation with very little community, which is kinda what Sony and Nintendo feel like at the moment.

For example whenever they were asked about multiplatform games... Microsoft. All for it. They want togetherness. If Sony and Nintendo allowed Game Pass and xCloud on their platforms, it would be there.

I think buying Activision Blizzard is good for the community overall... but it IS a bit of a weird time. That company is in the pits at the moment with legal cases regarding treatment of their workforce (particularly the lead bozo Bobby Kotick who should really be fired). So I wonder what Microsoft are gonna do about all that negativity.

I reckon they might snap up Sega at some point. It seems like a good fit.

[COLOR=var(--text-color)]I reckon they might snap up Sega at some point. It seems like a good fit.[/COLOR]
Yeah, I'm quite surprised that deal hasn't already been done actually - although they did make a "strategic alliance" in November 2021 (link).

Heard about this alright but I didn't connect the dots with this potentially affecting Spyro/Crash. Not a big deal for me since I stick to my PC, but that'd suck big time for PS fans (both franchises started out there after all).

I reckon they might snap up Sega at some point. It seems like a good fit.
Might not be a bad idea since Sega are getting pretty aggressive with the PC ports these days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back