• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Silent Hill HD Remasters

• Oblivion Knight
    Last reply
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list

Oblivion Knight

Bang bang!
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Andy
I remember seeing a video about how much of a mess the remasters were when first released on Xbox 360 and PS3.. Unfortunately I can't find the same video at the time of posting this, but will update if I do find it..

The main complaints IIRC were the fog, graphical glitches, and a change of character voices. It was also dubbed the worst way to experience two classic games.. I seem to recall the PS3 edition did receive a patch, while the Xbox 360 didn't (to my knowledge). Has anyone played them first hand? Are they really that bad? I have a copy on the PS3, but don't really feel like playing it if it's still a broken mess.. I'd rather re-buy a PS2.

I've never played them myself but yeah, that's definitely not something I'll be going out of my way to change lol. From the videos I've seen the problems seem to bestuff like visuals lacking the same atmosphere (less rusty grit, fog etc), it's supposedly really poorly optimized with big frame dips in certain sections - plus the game logic is tied to the framerate so everything including sound is slowed. I've also seen weird things like characters mouths appearing where their eyes should be so yeah, sounds like a bit of a mess lol

HD Remaster happens a lot lately. But we need new stories. I think we have to find out new stories and also new characters and the maps. Games need something new not the remake and remasters all the time.

HD Remaster happens a lot lately. But we need new stories. I think we have to find out new stories and also new characters and the maps. Games need something new not the remake and remasters all the time.
Agreed, a remaster/remake might not be an issue to gauge interest in a franchise if it's been dead for a while (think Crash or Spyro remakes) but the SH franchise wasn't necessarily dead at the time so a re-release wasn't really necessary, especially if the job done was so poor.

I managed to find the video(s) I mentioned in my original post.. Enjoy! 😅

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've also confirmed that the Xbox 360 version never got patched.

Watching these again made me glad I held on to my PS2 versions and re-bought the console!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back